Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Return

One year ago today I had already started my research in Medellin, and had been into it for about a month. In the months that followed many things happened, but two are particularly important. First, I graduated, and can officially call myself an anthropologist. And second, just as important or perhaps even more so, I was accepted at Oxford University to complete a MSc in Refugee and Forced Migration Studies at the Department of International Development in Queen Elizabeth House. I still can't believe that in just a few months I will be at Oxford, a school with such incredible history. I applied there, not because I thought I would get in (I didn't), but because the program was too perfect to pass up. I talked to one of my professors at Berkeley and told him my plans to apply to Oxford and my apprehension and insecurities. He said "let them tell you no, don't say no to yourself." Thus, thanks to Professor Charles Briggs, I will go to Oxford in September to start the program.

I am currently back in Medellín for the summer. I just arrived a week ago, and I intend to continue working with the persons I worked with last year, and to follow up on my research. After I left Medellín many changes were made to the system of assistance to the displaced. Therefore I feel obligated to make sure I understand the changes that happened since I left, in order to update my thesis.

I will try to keep updating the blog as I continue learning about internal displacement in Medellín. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment