Wednesday, May 27, 2009

First Days Back in Colombia


Well, I finally made it home after two very uncomfortable flights and some unexpected delays. I've spent the past couple of days catching up with family and friends. That is always the best part about coming home. Every time I come back it feels as if I had never left. The smell, the taste, and the feel of home invade me and all that has passed before seems to fade away. All the different places that I have visited seem like a dream, and I have to look at old photographs to convince myself that I was actually somewhere else.

Anyway, moving on to less emotional things, since my arrival I have been preparing for fieldwork. The whole Spring semester I spent doing just that, but I think you can never be too prepared, and for those of you who know me well, know how obsessive I can be about that. I've been reading methods books, theory books, etc, trying to be as prepared as possible for my first plunge into the field.

Since I was supposed to start my fieldwork on the second week of June, I am now waiting to hear from my liason here in the hopes that I can start as soon as possible. On Friday and Saturday, Medellin is hosting a very interesting and important congress. It's the congress for the victims of terrorism. Unfortunately, it's by invitation only, because many important people from different countries will attend. I applied for an invitation too late, because I only found out when I got here, so I can't make it. I'm a little bummed about that, because I am sure Internal Displacement will be an important topic in the agenda.

Well, I don't have anything interesting to report, but I'm hoping fieldwork will start soon, and I can share my experiences and lessons with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment